Ninja Speedi Southwest Chicken Bowl is a delicious meal of spicy rice, corn, and beans topped with grilled chicken and peppers, pico de gallo, cheese, and onions. And it’s on the table in about 30 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my full policy for details.
Kitchen Gear Needed for Ninja Speedi Southwest Chicken Bowl
What you’ll need
Ingredients & Substitutions for Making Ninja Speedi Southwest Chicken Bowl
Here’s the list of ingredients I used in this recipe, but feel free to customize it to your liking. Also, see the Tips section below for some low carb/keto and dairy-free options.
Full ingredient list
Rice I used regular white rice in this recipe, but I often use riced cauliflower in recipes since I follow a low carb diet. There are lots of rice options, so choose your favorite or try a new one. See below for my suggestions to make it lower carb/keto.
Chili beans Canned chili beans come in a sauce that you don’t drain off like other canned beans. And the sauce is a perfect flavoring for the rice. But you could use black, kidney, or pinto beans in place of the chili beans.
Frozen corn I don’t use canned corn, only frozen. But canned would work fine in this recipe. For some extra flavor, use some roasted corn like the Trader Joe’s brand.
Spices I like to make my own spice blends to avoid the preservatives and high sodium levels of commercial mixes. Cumin, chili powder, and paprika are my go-to southwest spices, but you could use a prepared taco seasoning if you like.
Poblano pepper I prefer poblano peppers because I like the flavor and heat level. But feel free to use your favorite pepper variety, like jalapeño or habanero, or skip it altogether. You can also skip the roasting if you prefer it fresh.
Pico de Gallo I love the flavor of fresh pico de gallo. In fact, I get a tub of it at the local farmer’s market nearly every week. But you could substitute salsa in its place if you like.
Cheddar cheese Full disclosure, I chose cheddar cheese for its color because I like my food to be pretty. It tastes great in the recipe, but you could also use queso fresco, pepper jack, a Mexican blend, or Colby jack.
Guacamole Don’t feel like you have to make or buy some guacamole for this recipe. Sliced avocado is just as delicious. Try roasting it on the Crisping Tray with the poblano pepper!
Try These Other Ninja Speedi Recipes!
Tips for Making this Southwest Chicken Bowl in the Ninja Speedi
Make it vegan/vegetarian Just leave out the chicken or use a plant-based chicken product, and swap the cheddar for a shredded vegan cheese. If you skip the chicken, try spreading the corn on the Crisping Tray (see image below) to roast it as I did in the Ninja Speedi Chili Mac recipe.
Make it dairy-free To make it dairy-free, you’ll need to swap out the cheddar and sour cream for non-dairy versions. Violife is my favorite brand.
Make it low carb/keto This recipe is already considered low-carb, so no adjustments are necessary. To make it keto, you could try using Miracle Rice and a three-bean blend that is usually lower in carbs than other bean varieties.
Level 1 Ingredients
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- I can chili beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
Level 2 Ingredients
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp spicy paprika
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 poblano pepper halved & seeded
- 1 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or queso fresco
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crema
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Add all Level 1 ingredients to the Ninja Speedi cooking pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the Crisping Tray to the pot in the elevated position. Mix the cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken breasts. Arrange the chicken breasts on the Crisping Tray.
- Close the lid. Make sure the SmartSwitch is on RAPID COOK. Press the POWER button and select SPEEDI MEALS. Set the temperature to 390° and the time to 15 minutes. Press the START/STOP button.
- The unit will steam for about 12 minutes, then switch over to crisping mode. When there is 5 minutes left on the timer, lift the lid and place the poblano pepper halves on the Crisping Tray with the chicken breasts. Close the lid to resume cooking.
- When the unit shuts off, lift the lid. Using silicone-tipped tongs, move the chicken breasts and poblano pepper halves to a cutting board to rest. Remove the Crisping Tray with the tongs. Stir the rice and beans in the cooking pot.
- To serve, slice the chicken breasts and poblano pepper into 1/2" slices. Scoop some rice and beans into a serving bowl and top with chicken, poblano pepper, and your choice of toppings.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 88mgSodium 688mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 28g
Nutrition information is an approximation and may vary based on the specific ingredients and amounts used when preparing the recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite board for later!