Ninja Speedi shrimp and grits is comfort food to the max. This southern favorite features buttery shrimp with chopped mushrooms and crispy bacon served over creamy grits. All in under 30 minutes!
No more waiting on the grits to slow cook on the stove while the bacon crisps in the oven and the shrimp are sautéed . The Ninja Speedi cooks everything beautifully at once!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my full policy for details.
Kitchen Gear Needed to Make Ninja Speedi Shrimp and Grits
You’ll need the following equipment and utensils to make this recipe.
Note: It’s important to use silicone utensils in the Ninja Speedi to avoid damaging the surface of the cooking pot.
Ingredients & Substitutions to Make Ninja Speedi Shrimp and Grits
Here’s are some suggestions for ingredient substitutions, so you can whip up a batch of shrimp and grits in the Ninja Speedi in around 30 minutes.
Quick-cooking grits Be sure to use only the quick-cooking variety of grits. The regular grits require more time to cook and won’t get done in the time needed to prepare this recipe. Quick-cooking grits typically come in packets, and you’ll need about three packets for the recipe.
Milk You can use just about any milk in this recipe. Cow’s, almond, oat and many others work great. Feel free to try your favorite. You can also skip the milk altogether and just use more water. If you would like more savory, less creamy grits, try substituting chicken broth for the milk.
Frozen shrimp I really recommend using frozen shrimp in this recipe. They cook perfectly in the time needed to properly cook the grits. but if you would like to use fresh shrimp, add them after the Ninja Speedi is done steaming and has switched over to air frying. Also, depending on the size of the shrimp you use, you may need to add more minutes to the cook time.
Tips for Making Shrimp and Grits in the Ninja Speedi
Like thick grits? As written, this recipe results in creamy grits. But if you prefer thicker grits, then you may consider reducing the amount of the milk or water. I would try about 1/2 cup less to start.
Be sure to use a shallow ramekin The ramekin needs to be shallow, or short, to fit in the Ninja Speedi under of the lid. Use one that is about 2 inches tall or less. See the picture below.
How to Serve Ninja Speedi Shrimp and Grits
This shrimp and grits recipe is pretty decadent, but take it up a notch with these topping suggestions:
- Smoky paprika
- Shredded cheddar cheese
This recipe is a full meal on its own, but I think it would be delicious served with warm baguette slices slathered in butter.
LEVEL 1 INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBSP salted butter
LEVEL 2 INGREDIENTS
- 8 oz frozen shrimp
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 TBSP salted butter, cubed
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add all LEVEL 1 ingredients to the Ninja Speedi pot and stir.
- Put the Crisping Tray in the pot in the elevated position.
- Place the frozen shrimp and bacon strips on the Crisping Tray in a single layer. (The mushrooms will be added later.)
- Combine all BASTING INGREDIENTS in a shallow ramekin. Place the ramekin in the middle of the Crisping Tray.
- Close the lid and make sure the SmartSwitch is in the Rapid Cooker position. Select SPEEDI MEALS, and set the temperature to 360 degrees and the time to 10 minutes. Press the START/STOP button.
- The Ninja Speedi will steam for about 8 minutes. Once it stops steaming, lift the lid and remove the ramekin of basting sauce with silicone-tipped tongs. Using a silicone basting brush, mix the sauce and baste the shrimp with half of the sauce. Add the mushrooms to the middle of the Crisping Tray and close the lid. The Speedi will resume on the crisping function.
- When 5 minutes remain on the timer, lift the lid. With the silicone tongs, flip the shrimp and baste the other side with the remaining sauce. Close the lid to finish cooking.
- When the timer goes off, lift the lid and remove the Crisping Tray using the silicone tongs. Stir the grits with a silicone spatula.
- To serve, spoon grits into a serving bowl and top with shrimp, bacon, and mushrooms.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 317Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 169mgSodium 877mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 22g
Nutrition information is an approximation and may vary based on the specific ingredients and amounts used when preparing the recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite board for later!