Indulge in a creamy, minty treat with this dairy-free peppermint ice cream recipe, made using the Ninja CREAMi. Perfect for those with dietary restrictions, this recipe is sure to become a holiday favorite.
And if you’re looking for a low carb or keto version of the recipe, see the FAQs section below!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my full policy for details.
I developed this recipe to be made in the Ninja CREAMi machine, but you can use whatever machine you have or your favorite ice-cream-making method. You may need to make adjustments to the recipe, though.
I used a mini food processor to quickly crush the candy canes, but you could put them in a baggie and smash them with a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet. There’s no cleanup with this hack!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Below are all the ingredients I used to make this dairy-free peppermint ice cream recipe, along with my suggestions for substitutions. Use your favorites to create your own recipe to fit your way of eating. But don’t forget the FAQs section below to see how to make it low carb or sugar-free.
Coconut milk I used coconut milk here, because it’s what I had on hand. But I think coconut cream would be fine also. If using coconut milk, be sure to use the full-fat version, not the light.
Non-dairy milk I didn’t list a specific non-dairy milk in this recipe, because most of them will work just fine. This is my current favorite dairy-free milk product, but use what you have on hand or your favorite.
Sweetener I used monk fruit sweetener in this recipe, because I follow a low carb diet. But the peppermint candy canes will add sugar, too. Feel free to use your favorite sweetener, and even use a little less if it’s too sweet for your taste.
Peppermint candies This recipe is most popular during the holidays, and that’s when you can use candy canes. But you can actually make this all year long! Just use peppermint discs or another peppermint candy in place of the candy canes.
Peppermint extract Even though we’re using peppermint candies as the base, they may not have enough flavor to carry the whole recipe, so we need to use some extract. The amount you use is really up to your preferences. Also, if you want a low carb or keto ice cream, this is where all the flavor comes from.
Toppings & Mix-Ins
Here are my favorite toppings for this dairy-free peppermint ice cream recipe. They’re not all low-carb or sugar free, so if that’s important to you, you’ll need to find other options.
- White chocolate chips
- Mini candy canes or peppermint candies
- Cinnamon candies
- Red sprinkles
- Hot fudge sauce
- Mini marshmallows
FAQs about this dairy-free peppermint ice cream recipe
More Ninja CREAMi Ice Cream Recipes
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
1. To prepare the base, pour the coconut cream into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Add the the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
3. Pour the mixture into a CREAMi pint, making sure it doesn't go over the MAX FILL line, then put the lid on it.
4. Place the pint in the freezer, making sure it's level. Freeze for 24 hours.
5. Take the pint from the freezer, remove the lid, and place it in the outer bowl. Install the paddle in the lid and attach lid to the outer bowl.
6 Plug in the Ninja CREAMi unit and install the bowl on the base.
7. Press the power button and select LITE ICE CREAM.
8. When the unit shuts off, remove the bowl from the base and remove the lid. If the ice cream is crumbly, then reattach the lid and install the bowl on the base again. Select RE-SPIN.
9. Once the ice cream is at the right consistency, serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 54mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 0gSugar 42gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is an approximation and may vary based on the specific ingredients and amounts used when preparing the recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite board for later!