These Ninja Foodi sweet potato fries are seasoned just right for that perfect balance of sweet, savory, and salty. Serve them as a side dish with your favorite main protein or serve up a double batch with a scoop of delicious garlic aioli as the main event.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my full policy for details.
What ingredients and equipment do you need to make Ninja Foodi sweet potato fries?
First things first, before we get to the recipe, we need to make sure you have the right equipment on hand.
These are the things I used to make this recipe:
Have these handy, along with all the ingredients listed in the recipe below, so you can whip up a batch of sweet potato fries in the Ninja Foodi in no time.
Still Searching for the Best Air Fryer for You?
If you’re still undecided on which air fryer to get, here are some of the most popular models right now:
What I Use and Love – 5 Quart Ninja Foodi Multicooker
Amazon’s Best Seller – Cosori CO 130-AO Air Fryer Toaster Oven Combo
Wirecutter Top Choice – Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven TOB-260N1
For Instant Pot Users: you don’t need another machine, just get this air fryer lid
Now let’s get to what you came here for: the recipe. But don’t skip the tips below the recipe! I share my secrets for getting perfectly crisp air fryer sweet potato fries and what goes good with these tasty spuds.
- 1 medium to large sweet potato
- ½-1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- Olive or avocado spray
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper
1. Turn on your Ninja Foodi and select the Air Crisp function. Set the temperature to 390 degrees and press the Start button to preheat for 5 minutes.
2. While the Foodi preheats, wash and cut the potato into shoestring fries no bigger than ¼”. Place in a large bowl.
3. Sprinkle the potatoes with the arrowroot powder and toss to coat all of the fries.
4. Spray the fries with the olive or avocado oil and toss again.
5. Spread the fries evenly in the Ninja Foodi and air fry for about 7 minutes. Lift the lid, and using the silicone tongs, toss the sweet potato fries. Close the lid and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Use the tongs to transfer the fries to a serving plate. Sprinkle the fries with the onion powder and salt and pepper and toss until all the fries have some seasoning on them.
7. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 9gSugar 4gProtein 3g
Why won’t my sweet potato fries get crispy?
I don’t know about you, but I love my fries crispy. But getting sweet potato fries to crisp up seems to be harder than with regular white potato fries. Is that just me?
But no worries, because I figured out several things you can do to ensure your sweet potato fries are crispy (without being burnt!) every time.
5 Secrets for Crispier Sweet Potato Fries in the Ninja Foodi
- Use a bit of oil – Many of us love air frying because it means we can enjoy that “deep fried” flavor and crunchiness without all the oil. Even though we don’t need loads of oil, we still need some. So give your sweet potato fries a light spray of olive or avocado oil before or after adding the arrowroot powder. It doesn’t really matter which, I’ve tried both and either way works.
- Cut smaller fries – This one may be a no brainer, but the smaller you cut the fries, the crispier they will be. Most recipes suggest you cut the fries anywhere from a ¼” to ½” wide. But shoestring fries are notoriously crisper than regular fries. So I say cut them no bigger than ¼”, even a bit smaller if possible.
- Leave the skin on – I’ve made lots of batches of air fried sweet potato fries and I’ve come to realize that they are always crispier if you leave the skin on. Give it a shot!
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes before air frying – Thirty minutes is enough, but 60 minutes is better. So how does freezing the fries before cooking make them crispier? When you freeze them all the way through, the outside will cook a lot faster in the air fryer than the middle of the fry cooks. This results in a crispy outside with a soft inside. Perfect! (Check out this post for more tips on how to cook frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer.)
- Air fry at a lower temperature and longer time – Another crisping method is to cook the fries at a lower temperature (375 degrees instead of 390 degrees) for a longer period of time. This will usually result in a crispy outside and a crispy middle, depending on how thick your fries are. And I would definitely suggest this tip if your fries are bigger than ¼” wide.
Try any combination of these methods, or all of them at once (I have!) to finally get those crispy air fryer sweet potato fries you’ve been craving.