This Ninja Foodi Blender butternut squash soup recipe takes less than 10 minutes prep time and blends up smooth and creamy. Serve with warm bread or a grilled sandwich for a delicious meal.
This recipe cooks up ridiculously fast with the soup-maker function on the Ninja Foodi Cold Hot Blender. Keep reading for suggestions to make it keto or vegan, and tips for making the soup if you don’t have the Ninja Foodi soup blender.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy, I may earn a commission at no cost to you. See my full policy for details.
Equipment Needed to Make Ninja Foodi Blender Butternut Squash Soup
You need only a few utensils along with your Ninja Foodi Blender to whip up this soup. Here’s my complete list of equipment that I used:
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Ninja Foodi Heat iQ Blender
What to Do if You Don’t Have a Ninja Foodi Heat iQ Blender for this Butternut Squash Soup
If you don’t have one of the Ninja Foodi blenders with a saute or soup-maker function on it, you can still make this recipe. But I prefer the Ninja Foodi soup-maker blenders for a couple reasons:
- You add all the ingredients to the Ninja Foodi soup-maker blender and then walk away. It sautes the vegetables, then heats and blends the soup without you having to frequently stir, blend for several minutes, or monitor the temperature.
- This is a high-tech blender that will produce a smooth, creamy soup every time. No missed chunks of vegetables or gritty consistency.
With that said, you can also cook the soup on the stovetop in a pan and use a stick blender to blend it up. I think you can probably achieve a fairly smooth consistency, depending on the quality of your stick blender, but you’ll need to blend the soup for several minutes to reach it.
Another option is if you have a different Ninja Foodi blender, one that doesn’t get hot. You could saute the vegetables in a saucepan, then blend everything in the blender for a few minutes, and then dump it back in the pan to heat up.
Ingredients for Ninja Foodi Blender Butternut Squash Soup
You’ll need these ingredients for the soup:
- Olive oil
- Small onion
- Large carrot
- Butternut squash
- Rosemary, thyme, sage, paprika, and nutmeg
- Vegetable stock
- Heavy whipping cream
- Salt & pepper
Find This Recipe in These Collections
Can I use frozen butternut squash instead of fresh in the Ninja Foodi Blender?
You need about 20 oz of cubed butternut squash for this soup recipe, and you can use either a fresh butternut squash or 2 10 oz bags of frozen. I have made this soup a few times, sometimes with fresh and other times with frozen butternut squash, and I don’t think there is a difference in taste.
There may be a slight difference in consistency, though. A few times I thought the soup was a little thick. But I don’t think this is due to whether the squash was frozen or not.
I think it’s because when I use fresh, I tend to use a little more squash than the recipe calls for, since it’s impossible to find a fresh butternut squash that is exactly 20 oz. You can always adjust the consistency by adding more or less broth.
However, there is one big advantage to using frozen butternut squash instead of fresh—you cut down the prep time by five to ten minutes! When you don’t have to take the time to peel and chop up the squash, you can literally have this soup in the blender and cooking away in under ten minutes.
Tips for Making Butternut Squash Soup in the Ninja Foodi Blender
This recipe is pretty straightforward and very simple, so I think you’ll have no problem getting a delicious result. But here are a few suggestions to modify the recipe for different diet preferences.
How to Make Keto Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is very low carb as is, but with a few adjustments like the following, you can reduce the number of net carbs even further.
- Leave out the chopped carrot
- Before serving, top your serving of soup with 1 Tbsp of chopped pecans and 1 Tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese
How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is easily modified to fit a vegan diet.
- Switch vegetable broth for the chicken broth
- Switch oat milk for the heavy whipping cream (this may result in a thinner, runnier soup, but still delicious!)
How to Make It Spicy or Sweet
If you prefer a different flavor profile than the herby recipe here, you can make a spicy version by substituting cumin, chili pepper, and/or paprika for the rosemary leaves. Another suggestion would be to roast the veggies before adding them to the blender for a smokier flavor.
Check out this Spicy Ninja Foodi Pumpkin Soup recipe as inspiration.
Or try making a sweet version of butternut squash soup by substituting coconut milk for the heavy whipping cream.
What to Serve with Ninja Foodi Blender Butternut Squash Soup
If you’re like me and prefer to round out your soup with some toppings and accompaniments here are some suggestions.
- Shredded cheese, like parmesan, gouda, or gruyere
- Chopped pecans
- Drizzle of coconut cream or heavy cream
- Roasted squash seeds
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Chopped fresh rosemary
- Baked camembert and baguette slices
- Grilled sandwich
- Warm-from-the-oven bread
Ninja Foodi Blender Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, chopped into 1" pieces
- 20 oz. cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 28 oz. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Add the oil, onion, and carrot to the blender. Install the lid and press SAUTE to cook the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- When the Ninja Foodi beeps, remove the lid and add the remaining ingredients to the blender. Reinstall the lid and press SMOOTH SOUP to cook the soup for 30 minutes.
- When the cook cycle is done, carefully remove the lid from the blender. Pour soup into serving dishes, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 39mgSodium 1019mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is an approximation and may vary based on the specific ingredients and amounts used when preparing the recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite board!